The Half-Blood Chronicles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Music for the Soul

2 posters

Go down

Music for the Soul  Empty Music for the Soul

Post by Nathan House Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:57 pm

Nathan gazed around the big area with a sigh. To be able to play here, by himself for once, was a miracle in its own right. He pulled his violin out of its case and tuned it before he put it against his shoulder and smiled. For you, Father. As he played slowly, starting out with Bach's Chaconne he thought to himself at how he was so good at music.

Then again, his father was Apollo. Hence, he would be good in music and archery. And it was true he was. Artemis, his Aunt in a way, may have been the Goddess of the Hunt, but Apollo was an Archer in his own right. He flowed easily into Beethoven's Kreutzer Sonata, ignoring the piano piece that was supposed to go with it. He didn't have another person to play the piano, so he continued past it.

He closed his eyes as he felt the music flow from the violin he was playing. The bow easily glided across the strings, and he lost himself to the notes.
Nathan House
Nathan House

http://hogwartsgf.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Music for the Soul  Empty Re: Music for the Soul

Post by Danielle Manaji Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:10 pm

Danielle toyed with her knife, spinning it in her fingers and smiling at the glint that bounced into her face. There was something coming from the amphitheater. She stopped spinning her knife and put it away.

She walked to the amphitheater, dazed from the beautiful sounds resonating through the air. That sounds so...I can't explain it. "Oh God, I must be dreaming or something," she muttered. "There's no way that someone could be that good at violin."

As she arrived at her destination, she cocked her head. A dark-haired boy was playing; he looked as if he didn't want to be disturbed. Danielle smirked and ignored that fact.

"Hey!" she called. "You're really good at that. It was really..." She struggled to find the right word. "Nice." Her smirk was replaced by a genuine smile. She guessed that it was because she'd always had a soft spot for music, no matter what genre. She was strange like that.
Danielle Manaji
Danielle Manaji

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan House Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:16 pm

Nathan accidentally jerked his bow, his violin making a sharp squeal of protest as he lowered both of his items. They were still clutched in his hands, but now, his hands were at his sides. He made no move, but rather he watched the person who had interrupted his music. How dare they, whoever they were. It was obvious he was busy, but then again, he hadn't exactly been quiet. How could he, when music demanded of him that he play it louder?

He watched the girl in silence before he too opened his mouth to penetrate the stillness of the place. "Thank you," he said softly, nodding his head to her. He hadn't seen her around. Then again, Nathan didn't see many people around. He was either in the archery range, this place he was in currently, or his cabin. He had yet to meet another child by Apollo.

"What you were listening to," he continued, looking at his violin fondly. "was Bach and Beethoven. Some of the greatest music makers of all time."
Nathan House
Nathan House

Back to top Go down

Post by Danielle Manaji Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:30 pm

The girl winced as the violin made an ungodly sound. The boy watched her and Danielle cocked her head to the side, wondering why. She gulped. For the first time ever, she was nervous. "Uh..." She was also at a loss for words. "Sorry, I guess," she said sheepishly. She hadn't meant to make things awkward.

She blinked slowly and stepped forward towards the boy. She'd never seen him before in her life. She raised her eyebrows as he said a small thank you. "Believe me, it's no problem at all," she smiled. She bit her lip.

"Bach and Beethoven? I've heard of them, but I was never really all that interested. School made them boring. I'm Danielle; Danielle Manaji. You are?" she said, holding out her hand for him to shake. She noticed that both hands were full; one with the bow, and the other with the violin. She quickly withdrew her hand and chuckled nervously. "Again, sorry about that. I didn't really mean to interrupt your music."
Danielle Manaji
Danielle Manaji

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan House Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:37 pm

Nathan managed a small smile for this girl he had never met before. He faintly wondered who her parent was as she introduced herself. Would she be one of Aphrodite's girls? Or maybe one of Hermes' prodigies? He noticed that she had stuck out her hand, and he felt slightly embarrassed when he found that he couldn't shake it. She seemed to realize it as well since she had put her hand back down.

"Nathan House," he finally said, nodding and giving her another smile. "And I will admit that school does make the masters of music seem rather dull, but I find it all to be fascinating." Nathan's eyes flitted over to a nearby chair and back. He wondered if she had enjoyed his music. "It's no trouble at all really. And if you want to listen, there's a chair over there."

He motioned to it as he turned toward it before he looked back at Danielle. "You are welcome to listen if you so wish it. I was just doing a little warm up before I belted out some of the tougher stuff." He commented offhandedly, wondering if she would take his offer.
Nathan House
Nathan House

Back to top Go down

Post by Danielle Manaji Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:45 am

The boy introduced himself as Nathan House, someone Danielle had never heard of. "Well, it's nice to meet you, Nathan. Whenever my teachers would play the music, they'd go on and on about how majestic or amazing or beautiful the piece was. I have to say that I fell asleep a lot in Music Class," she said with a small smile.

She followed the path Nathan's eyes were making, leading her to a chair. "Sure, why not? I'll give you a listen." She plopped down on the chair and put her hand on her chin. "Go on then. Amaze me with the harder ones," she smirked. Hopefully he would still be as good as he was when she first heard him.
Danielle Manaji
Danielle Manaji

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan House Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:09 am

Nathan grinned over at her when she took the chair that he had semi-offered. He had never truly played in front of another, besides his mother. And he knew that his father was always watching over him, at least he hoped so, and Nathan thought that his father would've heard him that way too. He raised his violin and rested it against his shoulder, lifting the bow until it rested on the strings.

He thought about what he would play for a moment before he nodded to himself. He would work up to some of the harder work, yes. He began with the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto. Just the first basic part, since he didn't have a whole concert hall to back him up. He swayed with his music slightly, his eyes closed as he casually switched to a slower song.

He smiled as his fingers did the switching, immediately melding themselves to will Beethoven Romance No. 2 in the air. This song was just a bit slower, and he didn't need an accompaniment. He finished it off softly as he opened his eyes and lowered his instrument and bow from his shoulder. He gave his audience of one a smile as he bowed slightly.
Nathan House
Nathan House

Back to top Go down

Post by Danielle Manaji Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:35 am

As Nathan grinned at her, she rolled her eyes, but couldn't help but smile back. She never really liked when people grinned, though she could've been considered a hypocrite, seeing how she did it a lot. She crossed her arms and leaned back into the chair, a half-smile on her face.

Nathan started playing a song that sent chills through the girl's spine. She giggled slightly as he swayed, but listened closely as he switched to another, slower, song. She let go of all fear of judgment and closed her eyes, just listening to the beautiful music that came from the violin. Danielle didn't want it to stop, but when it did, her eyes flew open and Nathan bowed and smiled.

She clapped with a smirk and said, "I'm impressed. What were those? They were really pretty."

She got up from her seat hesitantly. "Do you think you could play another? Please?"
Danielle Manaji
Danielle Manaji

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan House Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:06 am

"Mendelssohn and Beethoven," he said softly when Danielle had asked about the pieces. "Both excellent artists when it comes to the classical arts. I prefer to play that, rather than some of trash you often hear playing on the radio and such." Nathan half-wondered if Danielle had played anything before. Musical instrument wise.

He was going to ask her, but then she asked him to play another piece. He paused as he thought of what he could play before he nodded. She had been quiet, and it looked like she had actually enjoyed the music that he had played. So he would play more for her, if she requested it. He hoped his Da was listening, since he had always wanted to make him proud.

"Right. I'll do another one if you so wish it. Possibly a few. Go ahead and take the seat again, and I'll start when I think of a piece to play." He said, drawing up his violin and placed his bow across the strings once more. He started with Bolero. He knew that it was a song with more than one instrument, like most, but he went right to the violin part. It was upbeat, and he liked it better than some of the slower ones.

His eyes fell closed again, as if he was put in a trance every time he played the music on his violin. It was just him...alone on the stage with his prized possession. He opened his eyes, making them half-lidded as he focused on the instrument he poured his soul into. He slowed down once more to play The Lark Ascending. He liked this one a lot as well. It was upbeat like Bolero, and it was fun as well. Like a summer day. He continued to play the song, mindful of the audience that was listening.
Nathan House
Nathan House

Back to top Go down

Post by Danielle Manaji Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:43 am

He's kinda quiet, Danielle thought. I'll have to change that. "I actually like this a lot better. It's a good change, especially since all I ever heard on the radio was this one song called 'Friday.' It taught me the days of the week," she said with another smirk, a bit too casually in her opinion. "How long have you been playing the violin?" She thought that he must've been playing it for forever, since he was so good. She inwardly shrugged.

She grinned (Hypocrite...) and said, "Will do," before sitting back down in the chair. She leaned forward, excited for the playing that would soon commence. She continued grinning throughout the first piece Nathan performed. It was quicker than the first two, and she couldn't help but love it.

The next one was slow at first, making Danielle's eyes droop slightly. It was soothing and she actually hadn't had sleep in a while. It got faster as time went on and the girl opened her eyes as wide as they went. The piece wasn't boring, far from it. It was one of the most amazing things she'd ever heard, in fact.

Danielle didn't get up from her seat this time. She raised her eyebrows and smiled a bit. "This might sound weird coming from me, but your playing isn't just good. It's actually, well, amazing. Another?" She leaned back again and nearly fell, but regained her balance. "I'm okay." It was strange. She never lost her balance. Never. She shrugged again.
Danielle Manaji
Danielle Manaji

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan House Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:36 am

Nathan finished up the piece he was playing as he grinned slightly, focusing in on his one lone audience member. "I've been playing music for as long as I've known. My mother was a brilliant pianist, and I chose to take up the violin. However, I can play any instrument brought in front of me. I inherited it from my da I guess." He said softly. "Apollo, of course, as I'm sure you are aware."

Nathan looked at his violin and smiled. "This one has been with me for years. I guess I just prefer musical things and strings. My bows, I'm an Archer too ya know, and then the violin is a combination of the two. Along with my cello, viola, and many others." He answered.

He blew some hair out of his eyes as he thought of another piece he could play. Hmm...what did he have in his arsenal? He nodded to himself and lifted his instrument, running the bow along the strings. He began with Summer from the Four Seasons by Vivaldi. It was a piece he was fond of. He started out slow before he quickened the pace. He went slow once more, head nodding slowly to the beat. It was a rather eclectic piece.

He morphed it into the fast paced Four Seasons Winter piece. He focused on the violin as his bow danced across the strings, a flurry of notes echoing across the wide expanse. He hoped that his one audience member enjoyed the music he was providing. There wasn't much talking, but then again, that was how he preferred it.

His final play for that round, as he would most likely call it, was Spring. Yet another one of Vivaldi's Four Seasons. He expected Danielle to know this one, since it was one that most people did learn either when young or they at least have recollection of it from younger years. He played this one with a smile on his face. It was his mother's favorite piece.
Nathan House
Nathan House

Back to top Go down

Post by Danielle Manaji Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:49 am

She raised her eyebrows as Nathan said he could play any instrument. "That's very impressive." She smirked. "So, how many instruments have you actually played?" She bit her lip. "So your dad is Apollo? I guess that explains things. Mine's-" she looked at the ground- "Ares. He's not even much of a dad, just a father." She laughed at herself mockingly. "He hates me for being born. And you're an archer too? I'm more of a knife kind girl myself," she said, pulling out her pocketknife for emphasis and putting it back a few seconds later.

"Strings. Huh. I prefer the drums, thanks," she smiled. Danielle wondered how long she'd been there and how long she'd stay there. Nathan lifted his violin and started to play again. She wondered what this piece was called; it sounded familiar. Before she came to conclusions, the pace quickened and she changed her mind.

Before long, Nathan switched to another piece; this one was much faster and sounded like it was hard to play. The boy made it look easy. She blinked slowly and took in the music that made her feel calmer than she'd ever been in her life.

The last one was something that sounded very familiar to Danielle. Her mom played it whenever she cleaned, which was almost all the time. It was considerably shorter than the other two, but she didn't mind.

"So, how long are we gonna stay here? I'd stay here all day if I could, but I don't know about you," she smiled. She had a feeling that she and Nathan were going to get along just fine.
Danielle Manaji
Danielle Manaji

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan House Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:45 am

"Ares?" He asked, lowering his violin. "That would mean that you are an excelllent fighter right? And you do get angered easily? Or is that more of a stereotype." He swallowed, just a slight nervous. Everyone knew about Ares' kids, but he wondered if Danielle was like the rest of them. She seemed calm enough in the face of his music, and it appeared that she would be on of those people he actually...talked to.

Nathan flushed slightly. After playing Spring, he had a feeling that he wanted to stay in the same place all day to play music. For his mother, who was surely watching him from wherever she was up in the great beyond. He faintly wondered if his father knew about her death. He shook his head, shifting the hair out of his eyes. His father surely wouldn't care if one mortal woman died.

"I was uh...planning on staying here for most of the day yes," Nathan admitted quietly. "There is so much more that I can play, but I was planning to go and practice my archery after planning here. You're welcome to join me if you so wish to. Unless you're bored of my company and just want to get away."
Nathan House
Nathan House

Back to top Go down

Post by Danielle Manaji Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:04 am

"Yeah. Ares. My mom was stupid enough to sleep with him," she said coolly. "It's a stereotype...That happens to apply to me. I can't say that I'm surprised about you being shocked. I usually act, well, different. What I am surprised about, though, is the fact that I've stayed here so long." Danielle shrugged. She knew why Nathan swallowed; obviously he was nervous. "I'm not going to kill you, or cause you any bodily harm. You're on my good side, you know," she said, smirking.

Nathan shook his head. "You're not staying?" she asked, confused.

Her confusion was cleared as the boy said that he was planning on staying. "I'll stay with you, then." She raised her eyebrows. "Sure. I'll go. I'd like to see how good you are at archery too; maybe you're as good with bows and arrows as you are with bows and strings," she said nonchalantly. "Wait, bored? You think I'm bored of you? No. That's not it at all. I happen to like your company, thank you very much."
Danielle Manaji
Danielle Manaji

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan House Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:17 am

Nathan grinned slightly, relieved. Somehow, he knew that Danielle wouldn't do any bodily harm to him unless he invoked it, but he was happy to find that he was right in thinking just that. He crossed over to his violin case before packing his stuff away. He lifted the case when his violin and bow were packed away, and he made his way over to Danielle.

"Uhm...so I'll just return this to my cabin alright?" He asked, gesturing to the violin case. "My bow is in there anyway, so I can stop off and pick that up when I drop this off. I'll meet you at the shooting range. Who knows? Maybe I'll prove to be better with a bow and arrow than one of Ares' children eh?"

He smiled slightly before he looked back to where he was standing before. He hoped his mother didn't mind if he cut his musical performance short. He would come back tomorrow and play for her once more. And every day after that as well.
Nathan House
Nathan House

Back to top Go down

Post by Danielle Manaji Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:35 am

Nathan smiled at her and Danielle couldn't help but grin back. He walked toward her and she bit the inside of her cheeks. She stood up and clapped. "Very good performance, man. Yeah. Go ahead." She stepped closer to Nathan and asked, "Is that a challenge?" Smirking, she poked Nathan's chest. "You're on," she said, before backing away. "I'll see you there."

She walked past him and smiled to herself. This is going to be so fun. We'll see who's better; we'll see... This was definitely a challenge, no doubts about it. Danielle hoped she'd win, but if she didn't... Yeah, she'd use the old excuse. "I'm 13% blind in my right eye, you know." It almost always worked.
Danielle Manaji
Danielle Manaji

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan House Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:43 am

Nathan stood there with a half-grin on his face as she poked his chest. He was certain he was going to win. After all, Apollo was his father. And of course it was a challenge. He, a son of the mighty Apollo, versus a daughter of Ares? One of the greatest fighters ever known? It would most definitely be something.

And here she was, pulling something on him. He knew she was, after all, he had tried the same thing with his father before. And he had won. "I'm sure your...disability won't harm you in any way. You are a daughter of Ares, and as such, you will do the best you can for your father's honor. As I will do for mine. A challenge you wanted, a challenge you'll get." He smiled at her as he left, whistling a concerto piece of unknown origin.
Nathan House
Nathan House

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down